Health Tip: Handling Food During Pregnancy
(HealthDay News) -- Women are more susceptible during pregnancy to foodborne illness, which also can harm the unborn baby, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics says.
The academy offers these food safety suggestions for pregnant women:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Make sure you keep raw meat separate from ready-to-eat foods.
- Always cook food thoroughly until it reaches the appropriate temperature.
- Quickly refrigerate any leftovers to 40 degrees Fahrenheit or lower.
- Avoid potentially risky foods, such as raw or undercooked eggs or meat, unpasteurized milk and raw fish.