Health Tip: Help Prevent Varicose Veins
(HealthDay News) -- Varicose veins are painful, swollen veins that usually affect the legs. While you may not be able to keep them from forming, you can take steps to prevent them from worsening.
The U.S. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute mentions these prevention tips:
- Do not stand or sit for long periods without interruption.
- Don't cross your legs while seated.
- Elevate your legs when sitting or lying down, keeping them raised above your heart.
- Get plenty of regular physical activity, strengthening the muscles in your legs.
- Lose any extra weight to help improve blood flow.
- Do not wear tight clothes, especially those that are constricting around the waist, groin or thighs.
- If your doctor says it's a good idea, wear compression hose to help keep blood from pooling.