Health Tip: Choosing Your Child's Pediatrician
(HealthDay News) -- Your child's pediatrician will be your partner for many years in helping your child grow into a healthy adolescent.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests these factors to consider when selecting a pediatrician:
- Find out background information, such as where he or she attended medical school and where he or she were residents.
- Consider where the pediatrician has hospital rights and where the office is located, as well as office hours.
- Ask about how after-hours emergencies are dealt with.
- Consider the friendliness of the staff, and the pediatrician's interest in your child's health.
- Ask about the likelihood of getting a same-day appointment in the event of an emergency, and the availability of other specialists if your pediatrician isn't available.
- Ask about insurance participation, and managed-care programs in which the doctor participates.