Health Tip: Many Seniors Suffer From Dry Mouth
(HealthDay News) -- Dry mouth can cause dental health problems, including an increased risk of cavities. And dry mouth is especially common in older adults.
The American Dental Association lists these tips to help manage dry mouth in seniors:
- If you are using an over-the-counter mouthwash or spray, it may be contributing to dry mouth.
- Talk to your doctor about the medications you are taking and ask if you can make any adjustments to help with dry mouth.
- Carry a water bottle with you and drink throughout the day.
- Suck on sugar-free lozenges or chew sugar-free gum to help with saliva production.
- Run a humidifier in your home.
- Avoid irritating foods and drinks, including coffee, soda, alcohol and fruit juice high in acids.