Health Tip: When Your Child Is Scared of the Dark
(HealthDay News) -- If your child is afraid of the dark, you can take steps to ease the fears and help your little one feel comfortable.
The Cleveland Clinic suggests how to help comfort the child:
- Talk to the child about these fears, and ask what he or she is afraid of. Reassure the child that he or she is perfectly safe.
- Explain to your child that mythical creatures are not real.
- Comfort your child in his or her own bed, rather than bringing the child into your bed.
- Make sure the pre-bedtime routine is light and happy, without any frightening books or movies.
- Let your child have security items and a nightlight for comfort, and reward your child with small treats and plenty of praise.