Health Tip: Are You at Risk for Melanoma?
(HealthDay News) -- Melanoma is a dangerous form of skin cancer. Knowing your risk factors may help prevent melanoma and detect it early.
The U.S. National Cancer Institute says risk factors for melanoma include:
- Significant exposure to sunlight's ultraviolet rays. Sunscreen can help prevent UV rays from damaging the skin.
- Use of tanning booths.
- Having had a severe, blistering sunburn.
- Living in an area where the sun is strongest.
- Having a personal or family history of skin cancer.
- Having 50 or more "common moles."
- Having very fair skin that burns easily.