Health Tip: Keep Your Kidneys Healthy
(HealthDay News) -- A healthy lifestyle can help protect your kidneys and keep them strong.
The National Kidney Disease Education Program offers these suggestions:
- Keep blood pressure and cholesterol within normal ranges.
- Make sure diabetes is well-controlled.
- Take medications exactly as directed by your doctor.
- Reduce sodium intake to less than 1,500 milligrams per day.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and whole grains
- Restrict alcohol consumption and don't smoke.
- Lose any excess weight and get plenty of regular exercise.