Skip left navigation
Subscribe to Illnesses and Disabilities email updates.
Illnesses and Disabilities
Williams syndrome is a rare disorder caused by missing genes. It can cause developmental and medical problems.
Mental and behavioral symptoms of someone with Williams syndrome might include:
Medical problems of someone with Williams syndrome might include:
- Narrowing of the blood vessels leaving the heart, which can cause high blood pressure and heart failure
- High calcium levels in the blood, which may cause seizures and rigid muscles
- Limited movement of the joints
- Dental problems
Adults with Williams syndrome also tend to have a long, gaunt face and short height.
There is neither a cure for Williams syndrome nor a standard course of treatment. Treatment is given for symptoms as needed. Most people with Williams syndrome need to live with a caregiver.
Return to top
More information on Williams syndrome
Explore other publications and websites
- Age Appropriate Information (Copyright © Williams Syndrome Association) - this web page provides information about Williams syndrome specific to each stage of life, from infancy through adulthood. It includes information about what you should expect as a parent and advice on how to best care for your child.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Williams Syndrome and the WSA (Copyright © Williams Syndrome Association) - This publication offers information about the cause of Williams syndrome, how it is diagnosed, and other frequently asked questions about this syndrome.
- Music and Williams Syndrome (Copyright © Williams Syndrome Association) - There is a well-documented connection between affinity for music and Williams syndrome. This fact sheet explains this connection, what it means, and how music therapy might help your child become a successful learner.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Williams Syndrome Information Page - This online publication discusses the definition, causes, prognosis, and treatment options available for Williams syndrome.
- Williams Syndrome - This publication explains what Williams syndrome is, what the symptoms are, how it is diagnosed, and what the long-term prognosis is.
- Williams Syndrome (Copyright © National Organization for Rare Disorders) - This online publication provides information on the symptoms and diagnosis of Williams syndrome. It also includes sources of additional information.
Connect with other organizations
Content last updated: September 22, 2009.
Return to top