Skip left navigation
Subscribe to Healthy Aging email updates.
Emphysema is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). If you have it, your body does not get the oxygen it needs to function. Cigarette smoking is the most common cause. Quitting smoking can keep it from getting worse.
Return to top
More information on Emphysema
Read more from womenshealth.gov
- Lung Disease Fact Sheet - This fact sheet introduces the different lung diseases that affect women, what causes lung diseases, and how to reduce your risk.
Explore other publications and websites
- Chest X-ray (Chest Radiography) (Copyright © Radiological Society of North America) - This fact sheet describes what a chest radiography is, preparation for the procedue, equipment, the procedure, and benefits and risks.
- Emphysema (Copyright © Mayo Foundation) - This publication provides information on the signs, symptoms, causes, and risk factors for emphysema. In addition, it explains when to visit your doctor, what treatment options are available, and how to prevent this disease.
- FastStats: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) - this web page provides quick access to health statistics on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema.
- What Is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)? - This publication provides in-depth information on how the lungs work, and how chronic bronchitis, emphysema, pneumonia, and COPD can affect lung health. It also provides information on treatment and research information.
Connect with other organizations
Content last updated: August 12, 2010.
Return to top